Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day Seven - backstage at the "Scottish Play"

Set as seen from the lighting "booth"
The costumes, organized by "character"
Directors desk


The music on today's slide show is "Scotland the Brave" (Scottish Gaelic: Alba an Aigh) and it is a patriotic song and one of the main contenders to be considered as a national anthem of Scotland. In June 2006, the song came second to Flower of Scotland in an online poll with more than 10,000 votes to determine the nation's favourite unofficial "anthem". The song is used to represent Scotland in the Commonwealth Games.


History
The real Macbeth took the throne of Scotland in 1040, after killing his cousin King Duncan I in a battle near Elgin in the Moray district of Scotland. Duncan's eldest son, Malcolm, ended Macbeth's reign in 1057 by killing him in battle and later assuming the throne as Malcolm III. The real Lady Macbeth's first name was Gruoch, ( pronounced "ga-rue-wah").  Although this is not mentioned in the play, Macbeth was her second husband.


More quotes:

"There 's daggers in men's smiles". (Act II, Scene III).

"What 's done is done". (Act III, Scene II).

"Fair is foul, and foul is fair". (Act I, Scene I).

"I bear a charmed life". (Act V, Scene VIII).

"Yet do I fear thy nature; It is too full o' the milk of human kindness." (Act I, Scene V).

"When shall we three meet again in thunder, lightning, or in rain? When the hurlyburly 's done,
When the battle 's lost and won". (Act I, Scene I). 

"Is this a dagger which I see before me, The handle toward my hand?" (Act II, Scene I).


No comments: